A Shield of Protection


Hi Family and Friends,

Last Monday was my first P-Day! (Preparation day) I found out that the only time you get to wear normal clothes is when you’re in your house. So, if any of you didn’t know that, now you do. I got to email friends and family, but before anyone else, I have to email the Mission President and just let him know how I’m doing. I think that’s a good idea.

We see a lot of college kids at the grocery store because there’s a University near by, so that’s fun.

That evening, we were door knocking and met a recently retired minister. He’s read the whole Book of Mormon and said it reminded him of the Kings James Version of the Bible! He liked a lot of aspects of our church like our activity with genealogy. He said his church got a spot at the World Fair years ago and there were some “young men who were dressed nice and smelled good with clean haircuts standing next to a replica of the Mormon Cathedral in Salt Lake City.” We explained that was the temple and he thought that was neat. Sister Roberts later informed me that the word ‘cathedral’ isn’t in the Bible anywhere, but the word temple is mentioned a lot. I thought that was ironic.

That same day we met a woman who was adopted and has been trying to find her biological father for 30 years. We gave her a familysearch.org card and told her that there are specialists at our church building who serve and help people find their family tree. She sincerely thanked us and before shutting the door said, “You girls are gifted.” I’m glad we could help her.

Tuesday we were door knocking and a 90 year old Russian man answered the door. We were sharing a message of eternal families. We later found out from a neighbor that his wife was in a nursing home but he didn’t seem to remember that. He sounded sorrowful when he said his children didn’t love him because they never visit. It was so sad. I promised him that his family loved him and he would be with his wife soon again. Tears filled his eyes. “I’m sorry I have nothing to give you.” I don’t know how I could understand him because my companion was sure he was speaking in his native tongue. The spirit was definitely present.

Because I’m being trained, I have to spend an hour with my companion going through this manual and watching episodes from “The District”, which is a reality show produced by my church about missionary work. I get distracted a lot during training because it’s kind of boring and I always want to eat.

I have to exercise every morning when I wake up for 30 minutes. My companion usually does lunges and jumping jacks and I march to the living room, wrapped in my blanket and plop to the floor and “shavasana.”

During companionship study, I ask my trainer a lot of questions. I don’t think she’s used to it and says when she was learning, she just went with it. I like to be able to think for myself and know the reasoning behind things. Sister Roberts says she likes it though, and “it keeps [her] on [her] toes.” We get into a lot of deep doctrine sometimes, which is sweet.

Missionary work is so much more than teaching. It’s listening, comforting, guiding, serving, being an example and a light, being answers to prayers, and miracle witnesses.

September 18th, 2014, at 4:30 in the afternoon, I was supposed to die. My companion and I were on our way to a dinner appointment. We approached what we thought was a four-way stop. Turns out they treat it like a “two-way stop” or something like that. We had looked both ways and proceeded slowly. Before I knew it, there was a car in front of us, coming at 55 mph. I took one last breath, squeezed my eyes shut, and heard a screech and loud thump. I opened my eyes. My companion’s eyes were wide, and she was gripping the wheel. We stopped in the middle of this country road where cornfields surrounding us. We were both sitting up straight, the air bag had not come out, and from where I could see, there was no damage on the car.

The car we were in the “accident” with, was smashed in a ditch. The driver was the only one in the car and made it out in safety. We waited two hours for the policeman to print off information. I was laughing out of shock. The policeman approached me and said, “Were you in the passenger’s seat?” “Yes,” I replied. “You’re not supposed to be alive right now.”

We didn’t make it to our dinner appointment, but the member drove to our house and brought us the warmed meal.

Saturday, Sister Roberts and I got permission to attend the Stake Service Project! We were assigned to rake a bike path in the forest. It was a lot of work, but they had an awesome barbeque after and were got to visit and catch up with the other missionaries in our stake that we don’t get to see very often. That evening I got my name tags in the mail! I was so psyched! Elder Gregory was teasing me and saying “Now you’re a REAL missionary!” Oh brother.

Well, that about wraps up week two. I hope you all are well.

Love, Sister Harrison


One Comment

Add yours →

  1. What a great report! So glad you were spared! I’m glad you can feel the Spirit through your service.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: